By linking geography learning to our termly topics, children at Leigh Central will develop a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Children will investigate a range of places, both in Britain and abroad, to help develop their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human process. We also help develop the children’s ability to confidently communicate their findings and geographical understanding to arrange of audiences.
Through inspirational teaching we develop the following essential characteristics of geographers:
• An excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like, both in Britain and the wider world.
• An excellent understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected.
• An extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary
• Fluency in complex, geographical enquiry and the ability to apply questioning skills, as well as effective presentational techniques.
• The ability to reach clear conclusions and explain their findings.
• Develop originality, imagination and creativity .
• Develop field work skills as well as other geographical skills and techniques.
• A passion for the subject, and a real sense of curiosity about the world and the people who live there.
• The ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current issues in society and the environment.