At Leigh Central we believe that maths is best learnt through the children having a deep, conceptual understanding of a range of mathematical ideas. We challenge the children to make rich connections across distinct mathematical domains and to use their strong factual and procedural knowledge to help solve problems. We believe it is important for children to not only be able to find the answers to problems but to also be able to explain the reasoning behind their lines of enquiry using accurate mathematical vocabulary. By celebrating learning and through engaging challenges combined with the application of a concrete, pictorial and symbolic teaching and learning approach, we inspire the children to increase their fluency in maths and to become increasingly sophisticated problem solvers, both in maths and across the curriculum.
Children will cover and build on their understanding in:
Knowing and using number – Using fractions – Use measures – Addition and subtraction – Understanding the properties of shape -Using statistics – Multiplication and division -Describing position, direction and movement -Using algebra
We will be teaching the children the following essential characteristics of mathematics whilst at Leigh Central:
• An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics
• A broad range of skills in using an applying mathematics
• Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system
• The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including new or unusual
• The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges
• To embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts
• The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions
• Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques
• A wide range of mathematical vocabulary
• A commitment to and passion for the subject
We have purchased online mathematics programmes that children can access at home using their unique login details.
Click the image below to visit the Mathletics website.
Click the image below to visit the Times Table Rock Stars website.